Cedar Park’s Guide To Effective Tick Protection
October 15, 2022
Ticks are tiny arachnids that cause huge problems. Do-it-yourself treatments don’t really work beyond prevention, which is why professional tick treatment is essential. Green Pest Guys is your best option for pest control in Cedar Park.
Characteristics Of Common Ticks
Ticks are arachnids that latch onto mammals to drink their blood. They can feed on humans, pets, and wildlife. There are a few different types of ticks in Cedar Park. They have similar habits, but identification can be important for treatment.
American dog ticks are about 1/8 of an inch normally, but swell up to half an inch after feeding. They’re brown with white or gray markings. American dog ticks have hard exterior shells on their bodies.
Deer ticks are also sometimes called blacklegged ticks. Their bodies are orange-brown, while their legs are black. Unlike American dog ticks, deer ticks do not have hard shells covering their bodies.
Brown dog ticks are similar to American dog ticks. They’re reddish brown but turn gray after feeding. They also swell from ? of an inch to half an inch. Brown dog ticks prefer to feed on dogs and can infest homes when they’re brought inside on pets.
Lone star ticks can be identified by the single white mark on their backs. Their bodies are reddish-brown but turn gray when they’re engorged after feeding.
The Dangerous Diseases Ticks Are Known To Spread
Because ticks bite, they can spread various diseases to humans and animals. This is another reason why it’s important to know what species of ticks you’re seeing – each one can have different risks.
American dog ticks are carriers of tularemia (also known as “rabbit fever”), Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and tick paralysis. Brown dog ticks also spread Rocky Mountain spotted fever, as well as various illnesses that affect dogs. Deer ticks pass along many bacterial infections, including Lyme disease. Lyme disease is characterized by a rash that looks like a bullseye and can be very serious. Lone star ticks can spread heartland virus and southern tick-associated rash illness (STARI). With most tick-borne illnesses, symptoms involve fevers, rashes (especially around the bite), and digestive issues. Some symptoms may not appear for weeks after receiving a tick bite, so be aware of anything that happens after you know you’ve been bitten.
Five No-Nonsense Tick Prevention Tips For Around Your Yard
Ticks are definitely an issue when they’re around your home. Here’s how you can keep them out of your yard and away from your house.
- Keep grass trimmed short. Ticks like to hide in long grass. Then they latch onto people and animals that walk through the grass. By keeping your lawn trimmed, you minimize the places ticks can hide.
- Work on wildlife exclusion. Wildlife pests, such as raccoons and rodents, can bring extra pests with them – including ticks. Making sure your yard is fenced securely and installing animal-proof lids on your outdoor trash cans can help keep wildlife out.
- Treat your pets with tick medication. Your veterinarian can recommend a year-round tick medication that’s best for your pets. If ticks can’t bite your pets, your pets won’t bring ticks inside the house.
- Remove debris from your yard. Yard debris – including leaf piles and overgrown vegetation – can be hiding places for ticks. By keeping your yard as clear as possible, you can prevent ticks from moving in.
- Take personal tick precautions. If you’re going hiking or otherwise spending time outdoors in areas where ticks are commonly found, take steps to protect yourself. Wear a long-sleeved shirt and long pants and apply a tick repellant. Ticks can latch onto their hosts for hours at a time, which means they could be carried into your house. Keep them out by keeping them off your body.
Ticks are difficult to get rid of on your own. They don’t act like other pest infestations. That’s why professional pest control is your best option for getting ticks away from your home.
Professional Pest Control Is The Best Tick Control
Green Pest Guys offers total tick control options. After a thorough inspection, we’ll treat your yard and home for ticks. Then we’ll come back in a few weeks to make sure the pests are really gone. Plus, we here at Green Pest Guys make sure that our treatments are environmentally friendly. For total tick removal in Cedar Park, call Green Pest Guys.