Got A Mouse In Your House? Chew On This...
April 15, 2019
Rodents, like mice and rats, are more dangerous to your home and family than you think. They are dirty, disease-carrying, parasites. They leave urine and feces everywhere they go, like your kitchen countertops. But even worse they are a hazard to your home. They love to chew. One of the things they like to eat the most is the insulation off of electrical wiring. That causes wires to short out and creates a fire hazard.
Rodents have front incisors that never stop growing. Because of this, mice must constantly gnaw and chew to keep their teeth filed down. They sometimes chew on things like wood or ducts, but they also chew on electric cords of all kinds. If not for this gnawing, their teeth would grow to a point where they could no longer be able to eat, resulting in death.
Wire insulation exists because electricity is quite hot when it goes down the wire. It protects nearby objects from getting overheated. From there, it's only a matter of time before the wire either short circuits, causing a spark, or heats up and causes something nearby to ignite. Depending on the type of cable, mice may be electrocuted and left to decay over the next couple of weeks. Now you have exposed wiring for other rodents or family pets to discover. Or it can disrupt your cable or phone service.
Don't let your childhood memories or Mickey Mouse or Tom & Jerry make you think that mice are cute and harmless. They pose a serious health and safety risk for you, your home, your family and your pets.